Thursday, October 15, 2009
Tomorrow is the school festival. At least i get to sleep in a bit i guess. I have a meeting at 9 in the morning at the BOE and the i have observation at the school festival. Today was okay, i had classes for all five periods. I think i did okay. I had three elective English classes that i was in charge of for the most part. It was kind of awful with the 2A class. I had the first years first and last and i was just there to give accurate pronunciations of things so it was okay. Then i had 3rd year elective English. It went okay with shiritori but i tried to do playing card shiritori as well and they didn't really understand. I guess i should have just tried to teach them poker in english. The 2A class after it was horrible. I was reviewing the past tense and i think i was doing okay. I forgot to do some examples on the worksheet with everyone, but i fixed that in the 2B class after it. The main problem was like i was literally teaching to like only 3 people. The others were not even participating or anything, and i kind of just wanted to walk out then. The 2B class was much better. They participated and the game went well. The game went well for both, but the review before i could get to the game was worse in the 2A class. Then i observed preparations for the school festival. I am sort of surprised at the things that go on in Japanese schools. The kids are really left to be very independent and able to take care of themselves. They let them work with like power tools and heated wire foam cutters. The kids have set up everything for the festival and the teachers have made the materials available for them. I am astounded at what they have done. Everyone seems to be able to make a whole bunch of stuff like wooden stables, foam cut outs, big papier mache items and a half real size tiger made out of newspaper, wood, tape, and paper strips. It is pretty amazing. They really teach them to all be artsy in Japan, compared to just letting those that can only in America. They also teach the kids how to cook basically and sew for themselves in elementary and middle school. Its very different compared to America. It's almost like Japan is the ultimate example of no child left behind, in both a bad and good way. People really are allowed to excel in certain areas that much or be tested in order to get ahead of others. But, everyone seems to be able to do everything else that everyone can do. I will try to take pictures of it tomorrow. Too bad I have training in Sapporo on Saturday and church on Sunday, because there were so many things that are happening this weekend at the school and around here. Oh well, at least i get a three day weekend again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment