Monday, October 5, 2009

no pictures for today, but i started out at the school as usual. Then i had two classes and two periods of planning. I surprisingly used both periods of planning the entire time to plan things out. After lunch, i had to go an observe and help with the English teaching training session for the elementary school teachers. The third year middle school English teacher and i were the main runners. She was in charge and i was there to help and give native pronunciation. She focused on the pronunciation in the beginning, and i think it helped. The one thing besides l/r, b/v, and s/th that Japanese people are not able to do well is the f sound in English. In Japanese, they have an f similar sound but is actually the Ф sound. It is pronounced by trying to say the f sound with your lips in a b position. It is f pronounced with your lips and not your upper teeth and lower lip. Even when the Japanese try to get it, they still have this weird w glide after the f. so it sounds like fwather, and fwour. The training session went well. I could tell that the teachers were all giving it their all. The middle school teacher has excellent pronunciation. I get to learn all these little things about people day by day, like my neighbor across from me was the fastest field and track runner in Hokkaido when he went to high school here. It is definitely getting colder here. I hope i do not have to turn on my heater until the beginning of November. I am doing well, i will actually sleep under my futon tonight instead of on top of it. I am a little afraid to use my heater because one of the teachers near me gave it to me, and it has this newspaper under it, but i do not know why. I have the pipes and chimney pipes for it, but i am still a little anxious about turning it on.

No comments: