Friday, November 27, 2009
Today was my last day teaching English at Rankoshi Elementary. It was pretty good, and i will see most of the kids next year. Lunch was okay, but some of the kids were crying before it, as i suspect that maybe they made the wrong choice or something like that since it was self-burger day and they had a choice of shrimp or pork fillets for the burger. I guess, since there was more than one kid crying about something. Then after lunch, there was a girl that just shut herself up and was crying in a corner because she had broken a lunch plate. I guess embarrassment is killer for these kids. Class was pretty nice. there was a long meeting before the actual meeting i was supposed to attend. I almost fell asleep. That's one thing i do not like here is meetings. They are so boring, they are like church, everyone falls asleep and barely pays that much attention to them. Something to note is that apparently i think they teach a little sex ed in the elementaries. Or at least fifth graders know the biology of birth since i saw them using a picture of a baby in a stomach. I don't think i learned that when i was that age. It took till middle school for that. Then they teach evolution in schools which is just so nice sometimes. Japan is not a very religious country, or at least religion and politics rarely mix, though there are some Buddhist political groups, but they are just not crazy like the religious right in America. The kids called a human a monkey when we were looking for animals in a look for it activity in the textbook. It was the last one and they were looking real hard for others till one of them came up with that answer. It sort of brought a smile to me. I believe in separation of church and state very much. I think that any sort of teaching of creationism in public schools is so very wrong. Evolution has a process and evidence to back it up. Evolution is based on science, and creationism is based on religion. To teach creationism in schools is just wrong and crosses the line of separation of church and state.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment