Friday, January 1, 2010

The blizzard continues

The blizzard continued all day today. It looks awful from the few feet outside that i can see. The wind has been making sounds in my chimney all day. New Year's was a little uneventful. I went to bed at 11. Kouhaku was a little disappointing. I started off watching Ayumi Hamasaki and then it went downhill from that. I have a little problem with the entertainment on Japanese TV. It is so boring sometimes. Male singers are just so wrong. Japanese men in general from birth to like 30 years pay way more attention to their hair than girls, and it is always the same long haired bed-head look. I just wonder how people can spend so much time on their hair and worrying about it and it ends up looking like you just got out of bed. Japan is a very child oriented culture i think. There are cute faces on everything, though that could be a part of shinto believing in the spirits with in all things, so they must have a face. But, the uniforms and everything are all "cute." Policemen, firefighters, maids in a cafe... etc., it's all very cute. I think that sometimes it just needs to grow up. Then the TV personalities are just weird. For some odd reason, you have to be weird to be famous; either that or being an ikemen ("cool guy," but more of an a**hole). It is just very odd to me. Though in america to be a star you have to be a player or promiscuous. So neither one is better. I started reading my linguistics books, and the first one in the introduction is a little hard to grasp in some areas. It is about modality and mood, and i just can't tell the differences between epistemic and deontic systems of modality for some verbs. I just don't understand the words, and i have to keep flipping back to where they are introduced. The second one on morphology was a quick read through the introduction and first chapter. I skimmed most of it because i understood it and i think i may have even read the section on words and lexemes in one of my classes. I hope the blizzard stops soon. I don't want to drive in it on the way to Hakodate on Monday.

Bash Trozhka Tlit'a Ede!!! Happy new year’s/ may the year time be good with you!

No comments: