Friday, September 11, 2009

Today i finished up the week again by teaching at Rankoshi Elementary. The kids were a little but more aggressive today for some reason. Not just towards me with constant poking in the halls, but even amongst each other. I guess its just the weekend fever. Two kids were not allow to play oninokko during recess, i guess that would be the equivalent, because i think they had rough housed or something, and then after school two kids were in trouble for i think one of them taking the others things or something, and they got chewed out pretty harshly by one of the teachers, It was actually pretty bad, i didn't understand most of it but i could tell by the tone of voice, and yes there was tone an odd thing for them to have in common speech, so it was pretty bad. Even i felt bad for the kid. I plan on going to sapporo tomorrow and otaru on sunday for church. My car will get here on tuesday so finally they told me. I hope i won't need a gps, but i guess i could just take a train to Hakodate next week for the five day weekend. its still a little warm, and i have been cooking and that seems to warm up the place more. I made sesame chicken tonight and i think i over did it on the sesame oil a little bit. I need to just remove all the skin from chicken because it always has it. I kind of have grown tired of it. i am teaching the third years at the middle school everyday next week, so i hope that is good for them. I just wish i could have found out exactly what to do for monday since the english teacher for the third years has been in sapporo i think all week for an english thing. its sad, i kind of have missed seeing all the clubs at the middle school since i have been going to elementary schools all week at the end of the day. I really wish i could stay at one school and teach more. I think it would be better for the kids. The thing about Japan is that though the middle school teachers are capable to teach english, sometimes the elementaries are not as equipped. Pronunciation is the biggest thing. The japanese can understand english for the most part i think, but they get nervous using it, and pronunciation is just so hard fro them because of the huge difference in syllable structure and phonological inventory between japanese and english. Closed syllables, short vowels, some diphthongs, and a lot of consonants are very hard for them to pronounce, r,l,f,v,b sometimes, and nasals as well. The only problem i have with the teaching so far is that they really like to piecemeal the words when they say them, and maybe if they would focus on fluidity in statements, it would help, because a lot of english phrases are CVCV even though the individual words may be CVC and CVC. like What's your name? is not what... zu... your... na.. mu..., but more of whas cha name, which would be totally easier for the japanese since it is CVc cv cvc with a nasal which is what their language has besides the s at the end. I think that Koreans have a reason for why they sound the best out of all asian learners of the major countries that learn english is because Korean is a lot more difficult than english, especially their phonology. oh well, just some things to think about.

No comments: