Monday, January 17, 2011

Now is the winter of my discontent

Well, let's start with the weather. The snow has been coming down more and more and I just want it to stop already. My water heater for my shower has been on the fritz and I have asked for the gas company to come by and look at it. I did all I needed to do before I left and there was no water problem. My pipes froze only in my shower room and all the other ones were okay. I turned off the main valve and emptied the pipes before I left. Then when I come back the shower is frozen in the small pipe that leads from the semi-main water pipe in the shower room. There is a tap on that one and water would come out so I knew it was a problem with the small one or the ones in the water heater itself. It froze and then I put the pilot light thinking that would help, and it did, it unfroze it and it came out and all this steam and such as well and then I don't know but then there was some other sounds coming from it and I think I might have broken again. I am seriously done with this cold and do not ever want to live in a place this cold again. I miss central heating which would have lessened the ill-effects of the water pipes. So this morning I tried it and the pilot light would keep going off after like 30 seconds of hot water, I would reignite it and there seemed to be a buildup of gas so the ignition would light it up with a small boom. At least I am 5 minutes from an onsen; I will have to take the evening bath there instead of a morning shower. 

Weather and water aside, my weekend was okay. I took the train up to be safe with all the snow, but it was a little long. The way home I got delayed and the 3 hour journey turned into 6. The travel aside the weekend was great. Amber and I had a movie night on Friday when I got there. Then on Saturday, there was a radio station holding a public Glee viewing of the first two episodes, and that was nice to see how the Japanese reacted to it- frankly there was not much reaction at all especially to the humor. Then we had a wine and cheese party with a French guy and there was a bunch of his international friends there, so the night was filled with Spanish and French and lots of other people. Then we went to a reggae club where the music was adequate.

I have spent the day looking at UK schools and such and information on Linguistic Master's programs there. Frankly, I wish I was from the EU because it is the same price for them as any UK student. Then it is double or more for students outside of it. However it is still cheaper relatively than I think I would be if I went to school in the USA. I can get the degree in two years part-time, or one full time for like $15K in fees and then more for living expenses. Though I guess I will still have to debate whether or not full-time or part-time would be more financially sound and doable. In all my searching, the school of Oriental and African Studies still looks the best for the courses and general study area that I want to do. It's my number one, but I am looking at the University of Essex, Cardiff, and Birkbeck as well. 

School should be relatively non-stressful this week since I have only a handful of classes. Most of my time will be spent on doing other things outside of school. I am getting ready to move and all the shower room upkeep that I have to do. I need to repair a crack in my tub that I got a year ago but have put off because it isn't a problem since I can't even sit in the tub because I am too tall and stocky. Then I need to start throwing things away and seeing what I need to get rid of before I go home. I think I will go home after Japan to set up things and wait until I get accepted. It will also make visas and stuff easier since I can't handle that stuff easily here. I am thinking however that I will just leave Japan and take another week trip to London to scout out things and maybe go with Amber to see the sights and people. Then I will come home just so I don't have to fly a bunch and save. Life is going to be busy when I get back, at least I will be able to go to my brother's wedding and spend some time with my family before I go on to the next step of my life. 



I have updated my pics from this week on my album, link follows, but i have also inserted the link into the Title of the blog. Just click the "for pics" hyperlink. http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa398/AerykkSvard1987/

No comments: