Monday, October 22, 2012

Why Japan Rocks!

I guess I am going through a little Japan Separation anxiety. I think I need to create a little entry on things that I miss the most about Japan. In comparison with the food abundant, here in London- though British food does leave my tongue wanting for some things, seriously eel pie? sure it may have been a cheap alternative for the lower class workers and basically the only thing that could live in the Thames at the beginning of the industrial revolution, but still, eel pie?-the best thing about Japan that I will say I miss the most is always the food; not necessarily Japanese food per se, but food in Japan.

Case in point 1.MISTER DONUTS!!!!!!!!!


One can always depend on Japan to have a new food for every seasonal event; sometimes a native Japanese season or event or it can be a foreign one. Mister Donuts is my favorite donut shop in... THE... WORLD! The angel cream or anything with cream is delicious. The chewy texture from the use of rice flour in some donuts like the ポン~デ~リングis so superb, that one could easily eat a dozen by becoming lost in the taste and texture orgy in your mouth. This little store is just a good example of the seasonality of Japan and how the general mindset of the Japanese people is in-tune with the changes of the seasons and how sometimes having something once a year just makes it better instead of always having access to it.

Nikuman

I love nikuman so much. It was one of my favorite foods in Japan. However, originally from China in the north from the wheat producers there, nikuman has been a distinctive way of making them in comparison to the baozi of China. Many different pizzaman or curryman are in the convenience stores all over the country. I loved going with Amber and getting some warm nikuman as dinner on a cold winter's night in Sapporo.



Matsuri


Festivals play an important part in Japanese life. There is usually a matsuri for each major shrine throughout the year and with the massive amount of shrines in Japan or events in general, there is sure to be a matsuri somewhere in Japan on any given day. Drawing from Shinto traditions the influence of the spiritual thought is still visible in Japanese lives today.
Zangi and the Clown









 Hokkaido is one of the best places in the world for nature, food, and generally kind people. Zangi- or karaage to most other Japanese speakers- is the Hokkaido word for chicken nuggets or karaage. I was never able to tell if it was just nugget since I saw it applied to both. The clown in the title is the mascot for the Hakodate-only burger chain called Lucky Pierrot. It is very interesting and one of the highlights for tourists as one can get a whale burger there (kujira) and other fish burgers like crab or scallops that one has never seen in the USA or even the UK. Then there is always the Japanese phenomenon of trying to make the biggest burger to show on the interesting fact quiz shows they have on TV. There was also a recent new story I saw about Loteria making a five-patty cheeseburger and a five-patty shrimp burger. I would say I would prefer the shrimp one to the cheeseburger at first sight. If you have ever had one, you will understand.

Customer Service and Kindness
Japanese people are the kindest and most thoughtful people I have met. However, one may never be able to get to know Japanese truly as a foreigner or even as someone who is not family- the cultural phenomena of tatemae and honne: the face to the public and your inner self- kindness is one of the best things about Japan. Japanese customer service is way above anything I have ever experienced in the States. Now how many companies would refund a person their membership fees for the year if you cancel them after the renewing cycle and after already being on service with them for a year? Not many I would say. The JAF gratefully did this for me after I had forgotten about signing up for the Japanese AAA. Though I used Japanese- and trust me knowing and using Japanese never ever hurts- the refund is something normal it seems as an outward example of trying to know what the customer wants and trying to give that to them even when the customer doesn't say anything. I was perfectly fine with my mistake and paying the $60 for the year, but it was refunded. Companies around the world should definitely look to Japan for customer service advice.


The Kids

The last bit in this long entry is the kids. Though I guess I would have to say that I am a little partial to the matter, Japanese kids are so lighthearted and fun that it made teaching all the worthwhile.



I hope someday I can use my language and degree to help others get to experience the awesomeness that is Japan.


No comments: